Archive for the ‘Projects’ Category
I have just added some design aspects of a Chat Box. It looks simple but it is not that simple to design and develop. However, it is not a large software development work.
It should be packaged and made available with APIs for integration in any main online application.
I have added a new page on Open Source software that you may find useful. As you would see from this list, we have Open source s/w alternative for most of our needs/applications.
If you have interest to work on Open source s/w projects, visit Google site http://www.google-melange.com/.
Computer Society of India has again invited proposals from students and young faculty members. Last date for submission is 31 Jan 2014.
Please see full details in CSI Communications, Dec 2013 issue.
I have updated the page on Group Projects to share my thoughts on how members of a group should divide project work among themselves and what approach they should follow.
Suggest all those who are attempting working as a group project should read this page for effective learning.
I have created a page on the site to provide background details of another project from the academic environment – an environment very familiar to college students and faculty.
This system really benefits from web-based environment and is a good example of decision support system. Those who enjoy algorithm design have opportunity to create a suitable heuristic for planning phase. ♣♣
Surprisingly this project is quite similar to Group Project-3 as far as processing of attendance is concerned, if you view each teaching session as one internal assessment exam. Feature required for capture of attendance data provides opportunity for investigation of different input alternatives.
Major difference with Group Project – 3 is in difficulty in capture of attendance data and its entry. Imagine load of entry of attendance data every day by a faculty for subjects taught by him /her. Assessment marks are entered only 3-4 times in a semester and hence online entry for each student’s mark is not a big pain. Question is how you make capture of attendance data easy and fast. Let us look at some alternatives and each of these gives rise to a new variation of group project.
Alt 1: In simplest approach, manual attendance records may be sent to a data entry section where a data entry (DE) person can enter attendance data of each student. This is identical to entry of marks by a teacher except that it is entered by a relatively lower paid (DE) person. So entry screen developed in Group Project -3 for capture of marks is useful here as it is, with suitable change in field names. And instead of marks, P (Present) or A(absent) is entered. Number of Ps gives attendance (Final Mark) in the subjects.
How can we really reduce entry effort?
Alt 2: It is similar to Alt 1 except that some effort can be made to reduce data entry effort by manual entry of only those present or absent depending on which number appears less in a class for the particular session; and system asked to fill the balance by appropriate attendance value (P or A). How will you implement this logic?
Alt 3: ♣♣ This implementation requires use of some automated input devices e.g.
- If a class room is equipped with a biometric access device (e.g. finger print scanner) then every student when he/she walks in, can be asked to give thumb scan on the reader for recording attendance. This scan at a later time in the day can be compared with master record of thumb impressions of all students of a class to get attendance. This is a fool proof method to capture presence of students in a class. How do you capture details of subject and faculty that taught the subject in that period for which attendance is captured? The days when scanner is not working will require capture of attendance by alternate methods (Alt 1 or 2).
- Optical character recognition is another possibility. A form can be used to submit attendance by a teacher as is done for giving answers in many competitive exams.
- Students are given ID cards in most colleges. This can be used to capture attendance provided suitable card (with bar code or some proximity feature as in RFID/magnetic strip/smart card) is used with a reader installed at the entrance of a class room.
- What else? Use mobile? Every student now- a-days carries a mobile. Can we use NFC feature of new mobiles?
Note: Alt. (c) and (d) may capture erroneous attendance. Why?
This is an interesting and useful computer project for CSE / IT college students. Many useful enhancements have been suggested at the end as Project ideas. However, before reading further, it would be worth reading Gr Project 1 – Develop a Computerized System for a Battery Dealer, for better understanding of this project idea.
Engineering colleges conduct internal exams (IA) generally three times in a semester for each subject. A faculty typically keeps records of marks of each internal exam in an Excel file. On completion of third internal exam, final internal marks are calculated. Sometimes it is merely an average of the three internals. In most colleges it is taken as an average of the better two out of the three internal marks. Students would be delighted if final IA mark for a subject is taken as best of three internal exam marks.
The goal of this project is to create a system that will capture IA marks, calculate final marks and print reports for display on notice board. HoD and Principal also like to see these marks hence a multi user system that will allow each faculty to enter marks from her/his room and others to view should be of value to college.
Let me share some details of the desired system
Expected Users of The System
- Principal and HoD
Functional Requirements of the system
- Should be able to enter the marks of all students in his/her subject
- Should be able to modify the already entered marks
- Should be able to view the marks of a particular student in all subjects of the semester
- Would like system to calculate Final IA marks and also list top marks scorers & students below average
- Students should be able to view their marks and marks of other students in their class.
- Principal and HoD
- Should be able to view the marks of all students in the institution : but should not be able alter any marks
Software Requirements Specification
As suggested in Gr. Project -1, requirements should be detailed first. It should be clear what all details will appear in each information output. Then identify inputs required.
- The processing logic should also be identified. There should be clear understanding on how final IA marks will be calculated. Remember to handle cases like a student absent in one of the exam.
- How would you like teacher to enter and modify marks – one student at a time or many students at a time?
- What will you store as marks for students who do not appear in exam as against those who get zero in exam.
- We can view system modules as following
i. Master data – maintenance of student, faculty, course details
ii. Marks entry – entry and modification of internal marks by each faculty
iii. Reporting and inquiry – Marks reports for display on notice board, knowing marks of a particular student, his other marks, better students in a class etc.
Database design and development
- Attempt ER model to identify database tables. What will be DB structure to store marks of a subject? Also for defining teachers for a particular subject as only those who teach will enter marks of their subject; others should not.
- Now identify programs to populate tables. Do not forget validation checks.
- Identify programs / SQL scripts for query and reports
- Do not forget to design a menu structure to link all programs and access as per entitlement.
- Max marks may not be same in each internal exam. A teacher may set paper for 20 marks in first internal exam but may set next two exams with max marks as 50. Understand how final IA marks are calculated in such cases.
- Different calculation procedure for arriving at final IA marks. It may be a simple average of the marks of three internal exams. Even number of internal exams may vary from time to time. Sometimes teachers add grace marks to average and derive final IA marks. How these flexibilities can be provided?
- A student may have temporary Id till university issues Enrollment / Regn. number. System should keep record of both.
- If a faculty resigns or falls sick then some authorized faculty should be able to perform his / her actions.
- If your college desires to use this application then we need to provide for the additional functionalities, e.g.
- Backup and restoration of application data
- User registration and access control – allow access to only those who should have access
- Ensure that no one is able to modify marks after final IA marks have been decided.
- Only eligible students should be considered. Those who have not paid fee, dropped out / rusticated should not appear in final IA list.
- Parents may like to look at marks over internet. Provide for web-hosting of marks.