I have been to many colleges all over India for campus recruitment and appalled at the hit ratio. I have seen frustration, many times on the faces of my Project Leaders / Managers when fresh graduates become part of their team. The gap between industry requirements and academic input imparted to students does not seem to be decreasing for various reasons.
Information technology (IT) Industry looks primarily for strong basic concepts, initiative, analytical mind, ability to work in group and good communication skills, in CSE /IT graduates from academic institutes. A good project work, an essential part of curriculum, provides opportunity to develop and demonstrate the desired skills. However, students because of improper and insufficient guidance end up taking projects that do not add much in their development. How to change it? This is one of the ways I am trying to make my small contribution and in the process bridging gap between industry and academic.
This site Project Ideas for CSE / IT Students has been created to:
- Provide ideas for projects of different types in areas that CSE / IT students may be somewhat familiar with. This site will help in better understanding of requirements of computerized systems in those areas and thereby, help in proper design and development of an IT application;
- Help students visualize similarities in different computerized applications and understand how various application modules fit in a larger application system;
- Provide guidance for making projects close to “real life” systems and thereby generate awareness of scope and complexity of real-life IT applications;
- Suggest many useful enhancements thereby making a project suitable for group working and working at a senior college level;
- Lastly, suggest topics for investigations which a student may like to pursue and demonstrate as his interest and initiative to influence decision for enrollment in MS / PhD programs.
Commonality among different commercial IT applications has been extracted and explained in subsequent pages. These are part of “bread and butter” applications. Additional information to explain some uniqueness has been covered in posts under the same class. Posts are categorized & tagged. Readers are advised to look at archives also. Senior College students must read material on’ making system ready for real life.
New – Addl Project Ideas
I have added a page on project ideas which exploit newer developments in IT technology. I suspect many students may not have necessary exposure in their academic program to work on these projects. But, I guess some students/ faculty keen to experiment in new technology will do necessary self-study and attempt these projects. As of now I cannot find a good way to categorize except by technology. Hopefully it will evolve.
Request to Students: Primary purpose of site is to help students and not “spoon feed” them. Hence no detail design and code will be hosted. However, I am happy to provide further explanation. Questions can be sent as Post /Comments on this site or raised by an e-mail to me.
Request to Teachers: Hopefully explanation given are sufficient to guide students in detail design and working out logic of programs. This site should also help in citing examples in courses on File Organization / Data Structures, Programming, AI/expert System, Graphics and Systems Analysis & Design.
I urge all readers to share feedback for improvement; also suggest additional project ideas and interesting extensions that you may like to be discussed and covered for larger benefit of student community.
Dr N K Mehta, Bangalore, India